Locks SC History

At the turn of the century rivalry between the crews of two local fishing boats led to a sailing race in Langstone harbour, the winner to collect two dozen bottles of beer. The excitement of the race proved infectious and it was not long before Locks Sailing Club was formed at the Lock Gates, Milton in 1907. Meetings were held on a Friday evening at the Thatched House pub.

Club H1

The boats at this time were very different from modern racing dinghy’s being steered by a stern oar and unlikely to capsize, later they were modified with rudders and centre boards to improve performance. For many years motor boat races were included in the racing calendar, the motor boats started 10 minutes after the sail boats.  

September 1939 and the onset of World War II promised restrictions on the water , but the club continued to run until July 1940 when the Commander In Chief Portsmouth ordered all the boats off the water. The boats were immobilised and stored in the Thatched House. April 23 1945 saw an Annual General Meeting that restarted sailing at Locks.

Club H2

The post war years saw membership growing and in 1952 a series of team races began between Locks and Tudor Sailing Club competing for the Langstone Harbour Tiller, a trophy hotly defended to this day. There are now an extensive series of cups which have a fascinating history in their own right.

In February 1955 a plot of land was leased from Portsmouth Corporation, and in the fullness of time became the compound and facilities that we now enjoy.

Recent club highlights have been the award of Volvo Champion club status and a number of awards that have been used to augment the junior training facilities.

The club places great emphasis on coaching its young members to produce the sailors of the future, this pays rich dividends not only from representation of the club in competitions nationally but also in a stable membership that cares for the continuity of Locks.

(From original material by Tony Pearce, edited by Bob Selby)